[SunRescue] Can't Read Disk Label etc

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 13:38:35 CST 2001

>>I've got the "invalid disk label" and "can't read disk label" stuff
>>showing up on a SPARCstation 2 here.  I've had this before, but it's
>>usually just fixed itself by power cycling the machine.  This time, it's
>>sticking.  The connections are all good, this disk has a working OS on
>>it, and it runs fine, once I get it booted.  I had to reboot it in order
>>to move the machine to another shelf on Friday, and it's not been back
>>up since then.  Anybody have ideas of things to try to get this disk
>>happy again?  Thanks,

Depends on why it's getting that error.  Do you hear the disk spin up?  Does
it try to access?  Does the disk show up on a probe-scsi from the OK>
prompt?

If the drive is not spinning up it might be having a "stiction" problem
where the head becomes stuck to the platter intermittently.  If that's the
case you can sometimes solve it by tapping on the top of the drive while
powering it up.  (I actually ran into this on one of the old 40meg PC
"Hardcard" drives and hat to shake it vigorously to get it started again so
I could back it up.  The customer almost had a heart attack when they saw me
do it. *grin*)

Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Mike Hebel