[SunRescue] RE: Solaris 1.1 on a 4/330

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 13 11:03:35 CST 2001

> Dan Lane wrote:
> > Is copying old software still theft? legally yes... morally acceptable????

If the company has abondoned the software and isn't actively pursuing
keeping it out of the public hands then why wouldn't it be morally
acceptable?

Eric asked:
> That is the question.  How old does it have to be before it 's in the public
> domain?

After 7 years(?) it belongs to the public domain. Plus, most software after
7 years is pretty close to obsolete (for purposes other than ours) anyway.

> On a similar subject, can I still obtain older versions of SunOS from Sun?
> What version of SunOS originally came with the IPX? I'd love to create
> a true retro-computing environment on my IPX with the originally
> supplied OS.

Distributions of SunOS 4.x for the Sun3 and Sun2 systems are essentially
freeware these days. You can d/l them from sunhelp.org, even.

SunOS 4.1.4 CD sets (Solaris 1.1) exist somewhere, but I don't know if
you can snag them from Sun anymore. I think you could get them for Y2K
stuff.

> BTW, I did create an ISO of the OS/2 cd, if this dilemma is resolved.

Schweet. Too bad I have nothing to put it on.

-Jon