[SunRescue] Solaris 1.1 on Sun 4/330

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 17:13:05 CST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Tim Harrison wrote:

> Hey folks.  Believe it or not, this time I'm actually on topic! :)
>
> I just got my copy of Solaris 1.1 in the post, and I'm staring at my OS
> collection, wondering where it'll go.  Then, it hits me.  Gee, I wonder
> if I can put this on the (currently non-functional) Sun 4/330.  Is this
> a Good Plan[tm]?

It will work .. I've got a 4/330 with SunOS 4.1.<something> on it
here. It's wether or not you feel that SunOS 4 is a Good Plan...

It gets a bit hairy when you want DNS to work - even after you apply
the gruesome patches you can have problems, apparently.

I have been intending to try out other OS's on this. NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Linux  - they have varying degrees of almost-support for it, AIUI.

I managed an OpenBSD install on one 4/330, but it now whinges on boot and
doesnt get anywhere .. I've yet to find the time to figure out why.

dave.