[SunRescue] Solaris 1.1 on Sun 4/330

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 17:32:28 CST 2001

On January 9, Dave Reader wrote:
> It will work .. I've got a 4/330 with SunOS 4.1.<something> on it
> here. It's wether or not you feel that SunOS 4 is a Good Plan...
> It gets a bit hairy when you want DNS to work - even after you apply
> the gruesome patches you can have problems, apparently.

  If installed correctly, these patches (which are a pain, but you
only have to do it once) are pretty bulletproof...*IF* installed
correctly.

> I have been intending to try out other OS's on this. NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> Linux  - they have varying degrees of almost-support for it, AIUI.

  I've run NetBSD/sparc on a 4/300.  It was a while back (release 1.2 or
1.3 I think) but it ran just fine.  Reasonably zippy, too...plenty
fast enough for real server work.  For external IP services (web, dns,
mailing lists, etc) the real bottleneck will always be the
connectivity anyway.

  Keep in mind that you can also run a 4/300 in a x/x10 chassis (the
cream-colored 3-slot chassis that the 4/110 and a few other machines
came in)...That chassis is much smaller, MUCH quieter, and pulls much
less power.

           -Dave McGuire