[SunRescue] Re: OT NeXT question

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 20:29:40 CST 2001

on 1/3/2001 12:52 PM, Tim Harrison at harrison at timharrison.com wrote:

> I've got a NeXTstation Color Turbo 33Mhz, and now a 25Mhz Cube, and DAMN
> are they nice.  The Cube, even though slower in Mhz, runs faster.  Most
> likely due to the drive not being 420M. :)

The real reason could be that Mono=4bit grey, Color=12bit color.  Thus the
framebuffer on the megapixel display is 512KB for Mono, vs. 1.5MB for Color.

Since there is no intelligence on the display hardware (unless you are using
a Dimension board :-)  ), just a lot of block-copy operations (and
double-buffering in system RAM), you will see a speed difference.

Plus the Display PostScript interpreter has less stuff to rasterize.

./patrick