[SunRescue] Bad - new NVRAM/TOD??

Harry Regan rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 07:17:18 CST 2001

Hi Steve--

Yeah, I experienced the same thing and posted a message about it in December.
Since then, I've found out two additional data points.  I originally ordered
200 NS chip for my IPX from Mouser and got the TOD error you reference.  I
ordered a 70 NS version of the same chip (also from Mouser) and got the same
results.

Then I ordered the 150 NS version of the M48T12 from JDR Microdevices (they
don't carry the M48T02), and it worked like a champ.  They're $16.99 each from
JDR, rather than $12.80 from Mouser for the M48T02.  Mouser also carries the
M48T12 chip, also at $12.80, but I haven't tried it (yet).

So, despite what the NVRAM FAQ says, it looks like the MT48T12 chip is the one
to use.  All the chips I've been playing with are from the same manufacturer,
so it's not a vendor problem.

The ones that did NOT Work:

   Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T02-70PC1
   Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T02-200PC1

The one that DID Work:

   Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T12-150PC1

I will sware that I successfully used an M48T02 on an IPC a while back.
Anyone out there have an IPC with a dead NVRAM chip willing to experiment with
one of these chips?  I'll send a free chip to the first one who volunteers!

P.S.  I have not found a way around the TOD Clock error.  I even tried some
kinky nvramrc gymnastics, but the machine would always blow back to the prom
prompt.