[SunRescue] (way OT): Pallets

Chad Fernandez rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 11:14:28 CST 2001

Hello Amy,

amy wrote:
> eh, well, you're gonna think we're nuts now...

Some of us thought that previously, but if you want to start from now,
that is fine too :-)

> take 9 pallets (smallish ones) and put them together(bolted to each
> other)in a 3 x 3 grid. attach caster wheels to bottom of pallets. throw
> a king-sized mattress on top (no box spring). voila! instant
> contemporary/modern ledge-type bed-frame for ~20 bucks instead of, say,
> 800.

Building a frame from 2x6 lumber may be a little more expensive, but may
also yield a frame that was lighter and wouldn't look like you were
going to ship yourselves by truck :-)  It would also allow you to tailor
the size, instead of relying on pallet size.

> crazy idea, isnt it?

I have always wanted to build a furniture grade pallet out of oak, or
some other nice wood.  I don't know why.  It wouldn't be tall enough for
a fish tank.  Maybe for getting a computer up off the floor a little,
but without having to put a huge case on an industrial strength desk.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA