[SunRescue] (way OT): Pallets

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 11:39:19 CST 2001

>>amy wrote:
>>> eh, well, you're gonna think we're nuts now...
>>
>>Some of us thought that previously, but if you want to start from now,
>>that is fine too :-)

*tongue firmly in cheek*
You're just looking for her to reach through the computer an swat you up
side the head aren't you!

>>> take 9 pallets (smallish ones) and put them together(bolted to each
>>> other)in a 3 x 3 grid. attach caster wheels to bottom of pallets. throw
>>> a king-sized mattress on top (no box spring). voila! instant
>>> contemporary/modern ledge-type bed-frame for ~20 bucks instead of, say,
>>> 800.
>>
>>Building a frame from 2x6 lumber may be a little more expensive, but may
>>also yield a frame that was lighter and wouldn't look like you were
>>going to ship yourselves by truck :-)  It would also allow you to tailor
>>the size, instead of relying on pallet size.

I'm actually considering building something else also.  Our waterbed is
getting old and it would be nice to occasionally re-arrange the bedroom
without having to drain a Queen Size swimming pool.  Part of me is thinking
large oak futon that does the standard couch style thing too but I'm sure my
wife would have a problem with that.

>>> crazy idea, isnt it?
>>
>>I have always wanted to build a furniture grade pallet out of oak, or
>>some other nice wood.  I don't know why.  It wouldn't be tall enough for
>>a fish tank.  Maybe for getting a computer up off the floor a little,
>>but without having to put a huge case on an industrial strength desk.

Now that you mention it I found a better solution for keeping my computers
off of the soggy Midwestern basement floor.  Angle-iron cubes with wood
tops.  SAM's had them on sale for about $10 each.  They're about 1 foot
square cubes made of solid angle-iron and have wood tops.  They stack, are
big enough to fit most of my computer systems, and were relatively
inexpensive for their sturdiness.  (Cake-box SPARCs look like they belong in
these. ;-)

As for water-based items, I'm thinking 10 foot tall bubble tubes linked
together in one large wall ornament.  And multi-colored lights. *grin*
Anybody have a good source for 6" clear plastic piping?

Mike Hebel