[SunRescue] Re: 675 (Finally got DSL)

Goldarg rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 2 11:14:55 CST 2001

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 13:04:22 -0500
>From: Tim Harrison <harrison at timharrison.com>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Finally got DSL
>
>Reagen Ward wrote:
>
> > I've been using a Nortel i100 box since I need IPSec for work, and other
> > rather sluggish inbound NAT, it's pretty nice.  Not sure I'd buy another,
> > though.
>
>NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the damned Cisco 675.  What a horrid device.
>And CBOS is ridiculous.
>
>Sorry, I'm a bit bitter about this stupid device.  I'd rather have
>plunked down the money for a Netopia.

Really? I like my little 675, much better than the other option which was
the Intel 2100 winrouter when I got my US West RADSL.

I've had a couple problems in the year and a half I've had my 675 but
things have gotten better with each release of the CBOS software for it,
Not to mention it has some nifty features (Speaks SNMP without too much of
a hassle, can log to syslog on one of my *nix boxes, has a nice NAT
setup with easy to configure rules as well as port forwarding and filtering).

I only have a single IP and it gets assigned to my 675 which then does NAT
for me but all my boxes behind it are happy as can be, I've got ports
forwarded off
to a number of boxes for a number of things without any of them caring :)

Now the Speedrunner 204 that came before the 675, that was a horrid little
device, Didn't even support PPP mode DSL and the error logs were almost
nonexistent.