[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 1 18:12:17 CST 2001

on 1/1/01 15:49, Mike Nicewonger at twmaster at twmaster.com wrote:

> The simple truth is that there is no such thing as a bullet proof box. Some
> are better than others, some are downright difficult to crack. I myself am
> using OBSD for my mail and web servers. NT is a joke security wise. Solaris
> and Linux can be as secure if you want to work at it. One of the big keys to
> security is to keep your software updated with the latest version/patches.

Yes, and another key is to ask yourself just how far you want to go.  I take
as many precautions as I can with basenji.com, and I back up frequently and
keep archival copies. (Good backup is a part of good security, IMHO).  What
I don't do is go to the extent that I spend more time protecting my stuff
than It would take to rebuild it.

Besides, all the work in the world didn't help us when Chan's purse got
stolen the day before yesterday.  Thankfully, we have credit protection,
because by the time we go ahold of the credit card folks there were already
charges hitting her VISA card.  Amazing.

-Pete