[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 1 17:49:22 CST 2001

> I don't like the concept of Checkpoint.  I find it kind of silly putting
> a firewall software onto a machine with an OS (like NT or Solaris).
> Call me paranoid, but isn't that like putting a lock on a door, but
> leaving the key in it?
>
> I suppose you could say that about using OpenBSD with ipf.  However, I
> tend to trust OpenBSD a little more than NT.  Solaris, I trust a bit
> more, but still, in the wrong hands, a Solaris box can be a Hack-Me
> Sign[tm].

The simple truth is that there is no such thing as a bullet proof box. Some
are better than others, some are downright difficult to crack. I myself am
using OBSD for my mail and web servers. NT is a joke security wise. Solaris
and Linux can be as secure if you want to work at it. One of the big keys to
security is to keep your software updated with the latest version/patches.

Cheers,

Mike N