[SunRescue] PROM password issues.

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 22:22:34 CST 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> So where are you now? It seems like you have an SS/10 with another boot disk
> (why?) that can not reset the eeprom.

Correct.

> I guess what you are trying to do is login to the machine as root user, then
> as root user get around the password protection in the eeprom and reset it,
> correct?

Correct.

> It would seem to me that Sun would have thought of that option, and blocked
> it (put a signature in the drive tied to the password?) - can you boot the
> OS CD-ROM? Would that get you anywhere?

I figured that as well, but it seems that you can set it to none by
using eeprom.  At least, that's what I've found so far.

I can't use any options to the boot command without the PROM password,
unfortunately.

> What if you swap NVRAM/EEPROM for one without a password, then boot into
> root and switch chips while running?

I'm trying to avoid switching while running.  I have a terrible fear of
borking the system with stupidity.

> Or re-install the OS, then put back the protected NVRAM/EEPROM?

That's what I'm literally in the middle of trying.  I pulled the NVRAM
from my wife's 10, put it in mine, set the SCSI ID on the disk to the
same on the passwd protected NVRAM is trying to boot, and am installing
now.  I'm at 60% (gotta love 8x CD-ROM drives).

> You know, you can get a new (to you) SS/10 base for very little money,
> without a password in NVRAM... (SS/10 base for $45 at
> http://www.compsyscon.com/prod05.htm )

Yeah, or a $39 NVRAM chip from MemoryX.  I don't think I need the extra
machine kicking around right now, so if this doesn't work, I may just
buy a new NVRAM chip.  I was hoping to avoid that with some craftiness
(and without hot swapping chips while the system is running).

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com