[SunRescue] PROM password issues.

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 21:21:37 CST 2001

So where are you now? It seems like you have an SS/10 with another boot disk
(why?) that can not reset the eeprom.

I guess what you are trying to do is login to the machine as root user, then
as root user get around the password protection in the eeprom and reset it,
correct?

It would seem to me that Sun would have thought of that option, and blocked
it (put a signature in the drive tied to the password?) - can you boot the
OS CD-ROM? Would that get you anywhere?

What if you swap NVRAM/EEPROM for one without a password, then boot into
root and switch chips while running?

Or re-install the OS, then put back the protected NVRAM/EEPROM?

You know, you can get a new (to you) SS/10 base for very little money,
without a password in NVRAM... (SS/10 base for $45 at
http://www.compsyscon.com/prod05.htm )

HTH,

Ken