[SunRescue] PROM password issues.

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 20:11:48 CST 2001

Hey folks.  Once again, I'm having trouble (what are the odds).

So, this SS10 came with a PROM password.  I've looked around, and the
least invasive idea I saw was to boot an already installed Solaris disk
from another machine, log in as root, and use the eeprom command to
clear the password.  So, I attempted to do this.  After changing the
device.tab and vfstab to refer to the correct ID, I put the disk in the
new 10, and got this:

SPARCstation 10 (1 X 390Z50), No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.14, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #3383548.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:1f:32:fd, Host ID: 7233a0fc.

Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000/sd at 1,0  File and
args:
SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-23 [UNIX(R) System V Release
4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1997, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
configuring network interfaces: le0.
Hostname: solstice
mount: /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s6 or /usr, no such file or directory
/sbin/swapadd: expr: not found

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found.  Most likely the
mount of /usr failed or the /usr filesystem is badly
damaged.  The system is being halted.  Either reinstall
the system or boot with the -b option in an attempt
to recover.

syncing file systems... done
Program terminated
Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)

So, I've screwed something up.  I can't use the -b option, as it asks
for the password.  I can't boot into single user mode, as it asks for
the password.   Any thoughts?  I'd like a nice, clean way to do this
without taking the chance of hosing the box. :)

Anything and everything gratefully accepted.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com