[SunRescue] SS1 losteth its minde.... need eprom refresh.....(:+{{....

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 10:06:49 CST 2001

> Hi Bob,
>
> I've been meaning to do a good HOWTO on this for several months now.
>
> I've found nice surface mount holders for button cells (from mouser) that I
> have epoxied to the top of the nvram. then run wires down to the two leads
> coming out of the IC (but buried in resin). Getting to them involves the
> dremel tool.

Hey, I am game... the chip is sort of useless without the battery.

Now, let us be getting to the nitty gritty.  Can you draw me an ascii
image of what you removed and what you hooked up to?  I tried it a couple
years back on my 3/80, but my soldering pencil must have taken the chip
out.

Side View of chip:
(Dot end)
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*    --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---     *
*                                                                *

Top View of chip:

*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
**                                                               *
***                                                              *
**** Circle cut end                                              *
***                                                              *
**                                                               *
*                                                                *
*                                                                *
*  DOT(?)                                                        *

Where did you cut and which wires to hook up to and what polarity?

> kind of fun to fix them if you have the patience, and lay off the coffee for
> a few days, before you try it. (-: I shake too much if I don't.

(Yup.....my soldering pencil shakes these days if I do the too much coffee
 bit....although years ago, I used to kit build all my s100 stuff, under a
 stereo microscope.)

Thanks

Bob