[SunRescue] SS1 losteth its minde.... need eprom refresh.....(:+{{....

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 11:10:50 CST 2001

Hi Bob,

The place you want to get at is covered in a shiny resin. I think on the
short side at the dot end.

    (looking at The Dot End*)
        ***************
        *             *
        *    ______   *
        *   | *  * |  *
        ***************
        |             |
        |             |<-The Legs

        *I think! check the NVRAM FAQ (-:

The area you want to take away, is the area enclosed by the pipe and
underscore characters. The two stars inside there are the locations where
the contacts come out of the IC. They are pretty substantial so you can
clear away a lot of the resin without too much fear of busting them off.

Do the EE people here know if it is necessary to cut the connection to the
internal (dead) battery backpack? My folk knowledge of electricity says
definitely if the batteries were in series, but these are in parallel. ???

If you want, you can do this by removing all the material at the battery end
connecting the IC to the battery backpack (it is not connected by much).
Unfortunately this makes the whole contraption really weak, as the battery
backpack is only attached to the IC at the other end and with another small
amount of resin. If later an attempt is made to remove the NVRAM from the
mainboard with one's finger's one is likely to rip the whole battery pack
off, which also contains the clock crystal. This result would not be
beneficial to the functionality of the NVRAM.

> Where did you cut and which wires to hook up to and what polarity?

I forget off hand, I know it is communicated clearly and correctly in the
NVRAM FAQ. I always look it up there.

> (Yup.....my soldering pencil shakes these days if I do the too much coffee
> bit....although years ago, I used to kit build all my s100 stuff, under a
> stereo microscope.)
That sounds cool.
I managed to fix my first NVRAM with electrical tape, hand files, a 40 watt
iron with a big flat wood burning tip. That was stupid. But just goes to
show, You can be pretty ham-handed and still get it to work.

Hope this helps.
This may be a good start to my HOWTO.

best regards,
jeffrey