[SunRescue] Seagate Hawk misbehavior

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 13:18:02 CST 2001

Ok, why would a Segate Hawk 1GB drive make a noise that
sounds like it is trying to spin up, then spin down, then
spin back up, constantly, the entire time it's connected
to power? I just had one shipped (!UPS!) from a supplier
whose wares have been totally reliable in the past.
This is the first time I bought a hard disk from them,
though. Before I decide it's my last, any ideas?

Anyway, can bad jumper settings do this? Or did UPS
drop it off the back of a truck? I tried shorting
the motor start jumper, but the drive's behavior did
not change.

"I think it's kinda the same, but darker."
-TBWP I

 \   |
   \ | /
    \|/