[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 07:55:02 CST 2018

On 9 Feb 2018 13:43, "Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

Just to be clear, since I sort of injected a 'buy not build' element into
the
conversation, as someone that has frequently worked to bring an older server
back into service I certainly support the idea of bringing up that old
server
if for no other reason than the lessons learned along the way - the
challenge
of it.

Oh, I'm learning a ton. Much more than on 'closed box' 771 Mac Pro
hardware. I've always loved tinkering with Enterprise hardware be it x86 or
any other. This is fun, it's just frustrating and gradual but unlike past
projects I've found the motivation to keep going back to it and get it to
work.

I do also enjoy buying a prebuilt rig used and reconditioning it for my
use, too, though, so if I buy a used machine and it's a bit dusty or one of
the fans has a shot bearing I'll spend time spannering on it to get it back
to it's prime.

My home lab machines have silence as one of the main requirements (along
with
convenient on-board remote access/control), and finding suitable silent
servers was much harder than I was willing to devote the time to.

I need quiet machines and a *relatively* power efficient (as in not in the
same ballpark as my 9111-285 or zx6000) systems that return bang for buck
both as a purchase and long term in performance per Watt. I realize 771s
aren't ideal but with 80W CPUs this box ought to work as a stopgap until I
can get some Nahelam based gear.

Now I need to find new homes for my old basement 1U and 2U servers that are
too loud for above ground operation...

I tend not to look at 1/2U stuff for that reason. I have a Netra t1 105
that I haven't switched on in 2 years because it's too whiny.

--

Mark