[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Feb 8 09:13:59 CST 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 01:44:04PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>I am putting together a Windows training lab and found the Dell T30 single
>Xeon servers to be quite inexpensive and quite feature-full.

I have a T20 and second this. It's very similar to the T30, although with
an E3-1225v3 CPU and DDR3 RAM (maximum of 32GiB).

That said, in retrospect I do wish I'd spent the money on a second hand 11G
Dell, something that could take more 3.5" disks and more RAM (DDR3 RDIMMs
are /cheap/).

>Of course the RAM upgrades are a bit 'spendy' compared with older kit, but
>even that's not too bad, at around $10/Gig for 8 and 16 Gig DDR4 ECC UDIMMs.

DDR4 ECC UDIMMs are pricey - I bought 2x16GiB a few months ago for GBP
175ea.  Even thinking about it now makes me want to cry :(

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/