[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 07:43:33 CST 2018

Just to be clear, since I sort of injected a 'buy not build' element into the
conversation, as someone that has frequently worked to bring an older server
back into service I certainly support the idea of bringing up that old server
if for no other reason than the lessons learned along the way - the challenge
of it.

My home lab machines have silence as one of the main requirements (along with
convenient on-board remote access/control), and finding suitable silent
servers was much harder than I was willing to devote the time to.

Now I need to find new homes for my old basement 1U and 2U servers that are
too loud for above ground operation...

Lionel

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 2:32 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As regards a future machine, I tend to find in the UK Workstations are
overpriced for what they are. They aren't in nearly the levels of surplus here
as they are in the US and are sought-after enthusiast items.