[geeks] Windows XP, ATM's etc

Fred FRED at MISER.MISERNET.NET
Wed Feb 12 06:27:07 CST 2014

>From:  IN%"geeks at sunhelp.org" 10-FEB-2014 13:00:23.12
>To:    IN%"geeks at sunhelp.org"
>CC:
>Subj:  geeks Digest, Vol 135, Issue 9

>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:19:51 -0500
>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Windows XP EOL

>It also discussed how ATM customers (banks) are very excited about the
>prospect of integrating multi-point touch into new ATMs. (Interfaces that will
>resemble iOS devices, not POS waitress stations...

Apologies if this breaks the thread, got key happy and lost my original reply.
Thank goodness for a generous scrollback buffer.

This isn't a personal attack on you Lionel, but I have seen this very same
paragraph in multiple mailing lists and forums I frequent lately (and I am
going to guess you aren't on some of them, so ....)

set mode/type=curmudgeon

Why oh WHY does an ATM need to be "iDeviced" ?  All I want is for it to
securely take my card (take, dip, swipe, etc) give me options that are easy to
read (like BIG text), give me my money and/or receipt and be done with it.  I
have no desire to swipe, touch, see your silly advertisements etc.
(first and foremost without sanitizer with tons of other folks grubby hands
on the ATM).

I have always had the opinion that ATM vendors should have embraced Linux -
after all most modern-ish ATMs are just computers with a bunch of USB
peripherals for the cash dispenser, reader, etc.  This way, no one has to
scramble when the vendor pulls support.  They could even (gosh!) cooperate and
create a Linux ATM consortium for standards between ATM vendors, processors,
etc.

As Scotty said in Star Trek III: The more they overthink the plumbing, the
easier it is to stop up the drain.

set mode/type=curmudgeon/state=off

To stay a bit on topic of Windows XP, despite Microsoft's best effort to scare
the unwashed masses - in my line of work I see it everywhere and there is no
convincing folks to move (unless of course they end up with a virus or
software that just doesn't support XP anymore).  It'll be around for awhile,
sans some huge virus or other problem that a patch just can't be issued for.

Just IMHO of course.  Apologies if this is a bit off topic, as I am not
finished with the morning coffee yet. :)

Fred