[geeks] QEMU image file to hard disk partition?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 16:34:41 CDT 2013

The pondering about OS"s has me curious. I haven't been able to install
Xenix on the laptop I bought to run it on due to the floppy drive being
dead. The machine does boot nicely from a cdrom however...

What I'm pondering is finding some bootable OS (linux?) with a partition
manager that I can use to divy up it's 1.4 gb drive into a ~30 mb dos
3.3  partition, 2 ~500 mb Xenix / & /usr partitions (with the old id
numbers) and whatever left as a dos extended partition. Is anyone
familier with a partition program that can do that?

Then, I'm thinking of DD'ing the QEMU files I have on this machine into
those two xenix partitions. I'm not seeing any reason that shouldn't
work as long as I have the bs & count correct. Any problems I may be
missing?

The one thing I'm not sure about is the MBR but, OTOH, according to the
documention I've read it should have been possible, back in the day, to
dual boot DOS & Xenix that way. My memories are ... hazy... at best by
this time.

Thoughts, tips, etc?

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.