[geeks] QEMU image file to hard disk partition?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Sep 25 16:38:49 CDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> Then, I'm thinking of DD'ing the QEMU files I have on this machine into
> those two xenix partitions. I'm not seeing any reason that shouldn't
> work as long as I have the bs & count correct. Any problems I may be
> missing?

Why not just do raw disk images and install both OSes in to one big image?
Then all you need to do is dd the image off to the hardware itself.
(Remember to make it a bit smaller to account for overhead when copying it
back)

> The one thing I'm not sure about is the MBR but, OTOH, according to the
> documention I've read it should have been possible, back in the day, to
> dual boot DOS & Xenix that way. My memories are ... hazy... at best by
> this time.

See above.  I may've misinterpreted your problem but if I haven't, your
image of Xenix would have its own partition table.  Most systems still
aren't too fond of having partition tables within partitions.  (Trust me!
I've done it before!)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff