[geeks] Interconnect: Cell phone to house phone system

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Wed Sep 25 08:38:41 CDT 2013

Fax over VOIP and fax over cellular are both fairly unreliable because
both are heavily, lossily compressed.  Fax relies on sending data the
way a modem does.  Removing data makes it work badly.

Fax over IP uses non-VOIP protocols to get the job done.  T.37 is a
store-and-forward standard for Fax/email gateways.  T.38 is a codec and
standard for real-time fax-over-IP.

The latter is much more common.  You speak T.38 fax-over-IP to your VOIP
provider, and then they gateway you onto the POTS network.