[geeks] request for assistance

Edward Mitchell ed at arxsystems.net
Thu Oct 17 11:54:56 CDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 8:53 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 04:45:34PM -0400, Andrew Jones wrote:
>> I don't understand why this attitude is so common about IT services
specifically.  I wouldn't ask my stylist friends to do my hair for free, much
less do I expect them to beg mailing lists to find a third party to do it.

> This is not the response Michael was asking for.  If you don't have
> constructive input for the problem, don't make things worse.
>
> Some of us like to help people (friends especially) without giving them
> hourly invoices.
> I'll be spending a few hours tonight finishing the hardwiring-up of
> ethernet connections in every room of the Masonic lodge that I'm a
> member of, with all of the parts and materials (and the new $150
> router/AP) coming out of my pocket.
> I'm not giving them a bill or even asking for a receipt (they're a
> nonprofit) - I'm doing it simply because I'm able to use my particular
> skills in order to make things better for other people.  In return, I
> can ask someone else with a different skill set for assistance in the
> future with something if I have a problem.
>
> If you change your view from "What's in it for me?" to "How can I help
> others?", life gets a lot better.
>
> Bill

Amen, Bill, you hit the nail right on the head.
In the past couple of years, I've found that volunteering my time, energy,
money and other resources for non-profit groups with whom I share a common
interest has been *incredibly* rewarding.  Being able to use both my technical
and legal skills has helped them out greatly.  In return I get to associate
with some very interesting, talented, and creative people -- turns out on of
them even worked on the Apple 'Pink' OS UI back in the day.

Do I get something out of it, beyond the satisfaction of 'giving back'?  Sure
I do.  But I went into things expecting nothing, other than to learn and grow
as a person.  Slow as that process has been, it's worth it.  Helping others is
good stuff.  I reckon I wasn't planted on this rock and given the few talents
I have to just simply squander them on chasing dollars.

-Ed