[geeks] request for assistance

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Oct 17 11:48:45 CDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:53:10AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 04:45:34PM -0400, Andrew Jones wrote:
> >I don't understand why this attitude is so common about IT
> >services specifically.  I wouldn't ask my stylist friends to do my
> >hair for free, much less do I expect them to beg mailing lists to
> >find a third party to do it.

I think there is a big difference between "can anybody help my friend fix
his computer" and "can anybody help my friend fix the computer at the
business my friend works for." The details weren't clear in the opening post
and I feel like I understand Andrew's reaction pretty well, at least I can
relate to it. Can anybody fix the delivery truck at my buddy's bakery for
free? Does the change of venue make the point clearer? His question still
stands although it may not be relevant or helpful to discuss it in this
particular thread.

Everybody has hot buttons. If we are in the mood to be charitable let's
realize we don't know what kind of day he is having either.

> If you change your view from "What's in it for me?" to "How can I help
> others?", life gets a lot better.

This is certainly true. But I dont think the two viewpoints are mutually
exclusive.