[geeks] Building a local IMAP server on OpenIndiana

Google md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 01:24:25 CST 2013

On 27 Nov 2013, at 05:41, Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Google wrote:
>
>> mark at proliant-1:~$ ls -la /mpool/mail
>> total 6
>> drwxrwxrwx+ 3 root root  3 2013-11-24 17:17 .
>> drwxr-xr-x+ 5 root root  5 2013-11-24 13:50 ..
>> drwxrwxrwx+ 5 mark staff 9 2013-11-24 22:20 mark
>
> That's fine for a machine that doesn't have any other accounts on it, but
> that's probably not what you want.
>
> Dovecot will run as you when doing mail things, so it's actually okay for
> all the files and directories under there to gw-rwx.  If it created that
> tree, I don't see why it would do something like that.
>
> Still, that doesn't explain why it can't drop a lock file.

I dont really understand the user => user mapping at all well, which probably
doesnt help. Im using PAM mode which is the default and just pulls users and
passwords off the /etc/passwd (and presumably /etc/shadow) files for
authentication. I suspect the reason it choked is its trying to drop the lock
file as the dummy user it setup for Dovecot, not as mark:staff. That is then
spewing.

That said, look at my config - users are each assigned their OWN directory for
mail using the config setting:

mail_location = /mpool/mail/%u

So if you logged in as jpat then your mail will be stored in:

/mpool/mail/jpat/

for example.

I dont really get it either. Ill have to consult the dovecot user mailing
list I think (and probably be told Im a raving dumb-ass ;))

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>