[geeks] Netbooting a Sun IPC

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Sun Mar 31 17:06:07 CDT 2013

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013, Mouse wrote:

> > And then to verify a 'banner', or '.idprom', which shows settings
> > still at all ff's.
>
> This leads me to suspect that there's no chip in the socket.  Have you
> opened it up to check whether there is?  This is what I'd expect if
> there's nothing there.  If there is one present, I'm inclined to
> suspect it's totally fried, not just battery dead.

Son of a... Mouse shoots and scores. There's no bloody NVRAM modules :P

I pulled out an IPX that I haven't fired up in years with a failed primary
disk - and also a croaked NVRAM module. It allows me to set the hostid/MAC
(with proper machine type, of course) and lo, the bloody thing pulls from
'boot net'. Now I just need to figure out how to layout the install media
so it can be pulled via the network boot.

Good grief. Thanks for dummy checking me, folks.

 - JP