[geeks] Netbooting a Sun IPC

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Mar 31 12:43:31 CDT 2013

>> After setting the hostid and MAC does it take when you run banner?
> After checking this, no - it isn't.  [...]

> Now logic suggests to me once power is applied by the system coming
> on, it should hold data until power cycle... but maybe this is not
> how these work.

It's how they've worked in my experience.

> And then to verify a 'banner', or '.idprom', which shows settings
> still at all ff's.

This leads me to suspect that there's no chip in the socket.  Have you
opened it up to check whether there is?  This is what I'd expect if
there's nothing there.  If there is one present, I'm inclined to
suspect it's totally fried, not just battery dead.

However, this is all speculation and guesswork, based on a fairly small
sample size.  I defer to anyone who actually knows this stuff....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org