[geeks] Netbooting a Sun IPC

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Sun Mar 31 12:14:14 CDT 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> Those only had 10baseT le0 device, right?

Correct, a 10bT le0 w/AUI connector.

> After setting the hostid and MAC does it take when you run banner?

After checking this, no - it isn't. I think I have a logic flaw in my
head, rather than something wrong with the machine. I have NOT replaced
the NVRAM, I was hoping that I could force the hostid/MAC in there on
power-on each time, but since it isn't sticking, I'm beginning to think
that it's trying to write this back to a dead NVRAM and that's why it's
not being retained. Now logic suggests to me once power is applied by the
system coming on, it should hold data until power cycle... but maybe this
is not how these work.

For reference, however, I'm running the following sequence:
setend diag-switch? false
1 0 mkp
52 1 mkp
8 2 mkp
0 3 mkp
20 4 mkp
c0 5 mkp
ff 6 mkp
ee 7 mkp
0 8 mkp
0 9 mkp
0 a mkp
0 b mkp
c0 c mkp
ff d mkp
ee e mkp
0 f 0 do i idprom@ xor loop f mkp

And then to verify a 'banner', or '.idprom', which shows settings still at
all ff's.

_Should_ this work, or will it simply not until I replace the NVRAM?

 - JP