[geeks] Simple web server?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Mar 28 16:18:14 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:43:51PM -0400, Anthony Ortenzi wrote:
> The large number of errors I've seen with nginx are almost exclusively 503
> gateway proxy errors, since it's often used as a load-balancing reverse
> proxy to apps using Rails or Node.js which use a multi-process model with
> each instance listening on different ports (or UNIX domain sockets).  I use
> nginx heavily as a caching reverse proxy and it JustWorks(tm) fairly
> simply, and has a very low memory footprint with a high number of
> concurrent connections, making it cohabitate well on the same server as a
> Rails or Java webapp.

It is frequently used in a non-load balancing manner as well since it is
better at serving static assets on behalf of such apps and for some app
servers it is beneficial to have nginx fully buffer the reply instead of the
app server maintaining the connection for the duration of the transfer.

> I've had zero problems with it for static content or simple proxying, but
> it can get non-intuitive to configure for things off the beaten path.

I never was able to figure out how to make it stop fully buffering uploads.