[geeks] Simple web server?

Anthony Ortenzi geeks at litfire.com
Thu Mar 28 11:43:51 CDT 2013

The large number of errors I've seen with nginx are almost exclusively 503
gateway proxy errors, since it's often used as a load-balancing reverse
proxy to apps using Rails or Node.js which use a multi-process model with
each instance listening on different ports (or UNIX domain sockets).  I use
nginx heavily as a caching reverse proxy and it JustWorks(tm) fairly
simply, and has a very low memory footprint with a high number of
concurrent connections, making it cohabitate well on the same server as a
Rails or Java webapp.

I've had zero problems with it for static content or simple proxying, but
it can get non-intuitive to configure for things off the beaten path.

Anthony