[geeks] Simple web server?

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:37:10 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM, James Birdsall <jwb-tech at picarefy.com>wrote:

> Apache has grown enormously and is now like using a whale to swat a fly if
> all you want to do is serve some static content. Surely somebody out there
> has written a web server that is small and simple to configure, for those
> with minimal needs. After thinking about it for a bit, I really only have
> three requirements: 1) virtual domains, 2) basic password control for a few
> directories, and 3) the ability to autogenerate a directory listing for
> directories which don't have an index.html.
>
> Does anybody have any recommendations?

I've used thttpd in the past for extremely simple projects. It hasn't been
actively developed since 2004, at which point it was declared
feature-complete, but there's now a supported fork appropriately called
sthttpd which accepts patches.

http://acme.com/software/thttpd/
http://opensource.dyc.edu/sthttpd

Bryan