[geeks] Apple and backup habits of users, was Re: windows backup software

Ben Greisler ben at kadimac.com
Tue Mar 26 10:36:37 CDT 2013

The magic of Time Machine (the software versus Time Capsule the optional
hardware) is that Time Machine requires no user input other than agreeing to
have your machine be backed up and where you want it backed up to. No decision
on what to backup and how often. This is very different from most other backup
solutions. It backs up automatically and with no thought from the user. That
is a huge difference from a user standpoint even if the underlying tech can be
found elsewhere. That said, I don't know how many other solutions use hard
links to preserve the appearance of the file system and present the whole file
system to the user for browsing in a Finder-like window.

Ben

Ben Greisler | Owner / Technical Lead |  Kadimac Corp
ofc: 215-821-1440 | email: ben at kadimac.com
Certified Member - Apple Consultants Network - ACSA | Xsan | ACT
Apple Professional Services Provider - Education and Enterprise