[geeks] Apple and backup habits of users, was Re: windows backup software

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:40:28 CDT 2013

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013, Shannon wrote:

> Time Machine was rather prominently advertised as a totally new thing
> Apple made, that is what I mean. Written up as if none of it had ever
> been possible before. That's just typical of their ad copy.

Yeah. It's just another result of RDF.

> I agree that it was a really good thing, getting users to start doing
> backups, and they made it easy.

Time Machine would be a LOT more useful if the stupid damn thing didn't
keep corrupting it's disk image on my backup server. My Mac Pro backup
(10.7.x) has been offline for over 2 weeks now until I get off my butt and
do all the incantations to get fdisk to clear the image and let backups
resume. Apple's only 'user facing' alternative is to regenerate the backup
from scratch. losing all your file history and (at last could) taking over
8 hours on my system, probably because fdisk tries to scan the disk image
at the same time it's backing up. It's a total omnishambles.

--

Mark