[geeks] windows backup software

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 22 16:35:07 CDT 2013

On 22-Mar-2013 13:36, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 03/22/13 13:20, Cory Smelosky wrote:
>> On 22 Mar 2013, at 13:16, "Phil Stracchino" <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>>> I just finished up a trial of True Image.  In image mode, it's nice and
>>> fast and seemed reliable.  File mode backup was horrendous...  it
>>> estimated five days for a file-mode backup of a machine with mirrored
>>> 320GB disks.
>>
>> Wow.  I can copy 320G over IDE over Fast Ethernet faster than that!
>
> Seriously.  And this was GigE to a ZFS array over twelve spindles.  That
> array can push some SERIOUS bandwidth.  (In fact, Bacula backs up a
> terabyte of data from that array to LTO4 in about four and a half hours,
> and the bottleneck in that operation isn't the array.)

How is that storage space accessed from the Windows machine.

I doubt very much this is the fault of Acronis True Image. Its more
likely some issue with whatever remove access you are using conflicting
in some way with how Windows does files.

We have the same issue with ZFS over any kind of SAN: the performance is
horrible. Its not because ZFS or the SAN suck, its just they conflict
with each other.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]