[geeks] server hosting… need to relocate my remote servers

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat Jun 15 01:09:13 CDT 2013

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013, Shannon wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2013, at 21:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
>

>> Do you need shared hosting, or a dedicated VPS?  If its shared hosting you
>> need I can provide it free so long as you dont need too much disk.  If you
>> need more control,  I can hook you up with my provider.
>
> Well, I bitched at Hostmonster, and they gave me a list of tips to speed up
> things like Wordpress.
>
> Its kind of a hard thing to move away, because I actually like their tools,
> although their server status is a little too plain. Of course I could just
> install my own, I have shell access and root.

Don't blame you...moving away takes time.

> They are convenient I guess, and sometimes my time is short enough I
> appreciate their one-shot admin on some things.
>
> That said, what provider do you use?

TortoiseLabs...they're a proper VPS provider though...they don't do shared
hosting.

> I like tools for installing common WWW software, but I also want shell access
> for doing it myself.

Understandable.  That saves quite a bit of time. ;)

> Right now Hostmonster is $107 per year, cheaper if I did it for 3 years. Their
> pro service is $19-$25/month. I don't know how much their VPS is offhand,
> their dedicated servers are $75-125, which is far too much for my little
> projects.

I can get you 512M RAM and ~40-50G disk or so for $7.50/mo.

> We also get CloudFlare with our accounts, but I've never used it to try and
> speed up websites. Might have to try it.

Ehh,  I'm not too fond of having external caching...but your mileage will
vary.

> Anyway, thanks for the offer. I am going to implement the changes Hostmonster
> recommended and see how it goes.

Let me know!

> --
> Shannon Hendrix