[geeks] server hosting… need to relocate my remote servers

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 15 01:03:59 CDT 2013

On 12 Jun 2013, at 21:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

> Do you need shared hosting, or a dedicated VPS?  If its shared hosting you
> need I can provide it free so long as you dont need too much disk.  If you
> need more control,  I can hook you up with my provider.

Well, I bitched at Hostmonster, and they gave me a list of tips to speed up
things like Wordpress.

Its kind of a hard thing to move away, because I actually like their tools,
although their server status is a little too plain. Of course I could just
install my own, I have shell access and root.

They are convenient I guess, and sometimes my time is short enough I
appreciate their one-shot admin on some things.

That said, what provider do you use?

I like tools for installing common WWW software, but I also want shell access
for doing it myself.

Right now Hostmonster is $107 per year, cheaper if I did it for 3 years. Their
pro service is $19-$25/month. I don't know how much their VPS is offhand,
their dedicated servers are $75-125, which is far too much for my little
projects.

We also get CloudFlare with our accounts, but I've never used it to try and
speed up websites. Might have to try it.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. I am going to implement the changes Hostmonster
recommended and see how it goes.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com