[geeks] server hosting… need to relocate my remote servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 11:29:20 CDT 2013

I've found BYOD collocation to be a very appealing option. For $40-50/month
you get either one minitower or 1-2u racked server, a power cord (up to 500
watts), and a network drop with 5 unique IP addresses. The vendor I like is
Joesdatacenter.com ...

I have not pulled the trigger on that (yet), but 1u or 2u server is very
affordable now and almost anything reasonably recent can support your
workload.

I'm considering colo'ing a Dell 'custom' server I got a decent deal on:

Dual Xeon quad-core CPUs, 72 Gigs RAM, and four SATA drive trays (w/ one 250
Gig HD included) with crappy intel on-board fake RAID and a non-redundant
power supply

$625 incl. tax & shipping (rails extra) after using coupon 'save4dad' at
dfsdirectsales.com (Dell off lease equipment)

Is $40/50 month in your price range?

Lionel

On Jun 12, 2013, at 9:21 PM, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have used Hostmonster for a few years but while it has some positives,
I'm
> pretty unhappy with their performance. My sites, even simple Wordpress
sites,
> are pretty slow.
>
> For static pages they are fine, but anything requiring CPU seems to just
hit
> the wall very quickly.
>
> I have read they use all kinds of CPU throttling schemes to allow large
> overselling margins.
>
> When I contact their support, they usually are friendly, but I can't say
they
> solved the issue. Mostly they point out caching software and other tricks,
but
> it seems to me that trivial sites like mine should load almost instantly.
They