[geeks] wireless range extender

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 15 01:09:33 CDT 2013

On 13 Jun 2013, at 09:53 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Have you considered an external antenna on the side of the house facing the
> barn, hanging off a dedicated AP/repurposed Router/AP?

It costs as much for a router to do that with as it does for a dedicated range
extender. Is it any better?

Everyone in the house likes having 300Mbps, so using some old G router won't
cut it.

> Have you tried a better antenna on your current AP/router? One with, say 6
Dbi
> gain could give the signal enough 'umph' to blast through the walls. A
friend
> has a pair of 6 Dbi antennas on a WRT54GL that NEARLY covers a 4,200 sq ft
> house...

Neither of the routers in use has external antenna connections.

What I've done for now is buy a pair of dual-antenna USB wireless adapters for
the machines with the low signals. Every other area of the house and barn are
fine. Got them on sale for $20 each.

Long time, yea I probably need a better solution in case they have issues with
other devices, but its OK for now.