[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Jun 13 10:57:28 CDT 2013

I've been down this road before with wireless, copper, and fiber and I would
definitely put some fiber in.  Sure, it may cost you slightly more to have it
put in, but you'll be in much better shape both from a reliability standpoint
(no possible induction in the line or grounding issues frying hardware at
either end like cat6, no concern with interference or lightning striking
outdoor antennas like wireless) and you've got a better shot of being
future-proofed with fiber than cat6.  The cost difference should be negligable
in the scope of the building project.  Or, while you're burying or running
aerial wire, why not do both cat6 and multiple strands of fiber?  The copper
may come in handy for phones or something else down the line as well.

	-Dan Sikorski

On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:45 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be concerned about running that long a Cat6 - having lost too many
> network cards to a single large lightning strike a few years ago I'm a bit
> sensitive about that concern.
>
> Wireless bridge setup might be good, I would set up an external antenna on
> each end with decent security should suffice.
>
> Would powerline Ethernet be an option? It's certainly fast enough for a
single
> workstation.
>
> I work in K-12 education, and in our auto shop class we have PCs that are
> housed in protective enclosures, with splash proof keyboards. The issue is
> airborne dirt & grime - you need to keep the computer clean inside. The
> enclosure looks like an arcade console but can be very expensive as some
> include air air filtration or even cooling mechanisms.
>
> A current-gen Mac mini-type system with almost no airflow might be best -
if
> no air flows through the computer, no dirt can be carried into the
> computer...
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Lionel
>
> On Jun 13, 2013, at 4:55 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We're havibg a new workshop building put up at work and need to supply
> ethernet to the building so the shop staff can use the online references
while
> they work.
>>
>> Issue 1 is getting network to the building.  They will share a common
> electric supply and as such should be universally grounded. I have been
told
> it isn't good practice to run Cat6 between physical buildings because of
> ground difference between the ends. Is this something we need to worry
about
> here and if so what are the alternatives?
>>
>> Issue 2 is the shop staff will have a PC and be working on 4x4s all day
that
> range from kinda clean to caked in crap. They also do a lot if oily jobs.
What