[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 08:45:58 CDT 2013

I would be concerned about running that long a Cat6 - having lost too many
network cards to a single large lightning strike a few years ago I'm a bit
sensitive about that concern.

Wireless bridge setup might be good, I would set up an external antenna on
each end with decent security should suffice.

Would powerline Ethernet be an option? It's certainly fast enough for a single
workstation.

I work in K-12 education, and in our auto shop class we have PCs that are
housed in protective enclosures, with splash proof keyboards. The issue is
airborne dirt & grime - you need to keep the computer clean inside. The
enclosure looks like an arcade console but can be very expensive as some
include air air filtration or even cooling mechanisms.

A current-gen Mac mini-type system with almost no airflow might be best - if
no air flows through the computer, no dirt can be carried into the
computer...

Hope that helps,

Lionel

On Jun 13, 2013, at 4:55 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> We're havibg a new workshop building put up at work and need to supply
ethernet to the building so the shop staff can use the online references while
they work.

> Issue 1 is getting network to the building.  They will share a common
electric supply and as such should be universally grounded. I have been told
it isn't good practice to run Cat6 between physical buildings because of
ground difference between the ends. Is this something we need to worry about
here and if so what are the alternatives?

> Issue 2 is the shop staff will have a PC and be working on 4x4s all day that
range from kinda clean to caked in crap. They also do a lot if oily jobs. What
would you guys recommend for protecting the PC?