[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jun 13 07:42:24 CDT 2013

> We're havibg a new workshop building put up at work and need to supply ether$

> Issue 1 is getting network to the building.  They will share a common electr$

My relatively uneducated guess is, yes, you should worry about it.
Whenever you have multiple conductors run, differences in induced
voltage can cause trouble.  It does matter how long the run will be.
If the buildings will be going up with a party wall with the existing
building, you don't have much to worry about; if it's a quarter-mile,
you likely do...I'll be assuming, for the rest of this mail, that you
do want to worry about the issue.

You can minimize this by running the twisted-pair as close as possible
to the power, but that has its own issues.  I would instead suggest
running glass rather than copper, with twisted pair <-> fiber
converters on each end.  Or, possibly, a switch with a fiber module in
it rather than a standalone media converter.

It might be worth at least thinking about going wireless, too, either
for the intra-building hop or all the way to the end machine.

> Issue 2 is the shop staff will have a PC and be working on 4x4s all day that$

I have no particular experience for this; about all I have to suggest
is one of those plastic keyboard covers, which I'm sure you've already
thought of anyway.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org