[geeks] SunHELP Status Update

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Nov 30 20:58:04 CST 2012

I will say that Bill's lists provided me with two different things.

   First, I got some real answers and useful suggestions to actual questions
as I was learning this business. I knew there was a community of people who
could help me, and who wouldn't belittle me for not knowing something, and
that gave me the confidence to take on some things that otherwise seemed very
tough.

   Second, I also read tons of posts about stuff that I barely understood or
couldn't actually follow -- and that was great because I found it all very
interesting and still learned stuff by just reading. Again, a friendly
community who is willing to discuss *anything* will produce some fantastic
digressions that teach a lot even to the non-enthusiast. I saw more posts than
I care to remember about politics, but also lots of interesting posts about
cars, electricity, and Dave M's crazy hardware hoard. ("Time to move!" was the
chorus.)

   So from these lists I got mentoring and fellowship, and I also got
actionable, specific advice. I don't know anywhere I could have worked that
would have offered me both of those things, and I remain very grateful to Bill
for being our gracious host, and to all of you for being such good company.
Best of all, I read stories that made me laugh and gasp, even if a few of them
may have been tall tales.

   There is a former co-worker who started me in this business (hi, Miguel!),
but I wouldn't have made it this far without this group. I raise a glass to
you, Bill, and to this company. Thanks, all!

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt
Database Team Manager, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI