[geeks] the virtualization project

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 16 10:36:10 CDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 11:24 , Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:17:01AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
>
> ohno.mrbill.net is a Debian 6 quad-core (AMD Athlon II 640) system with 16
> of RAM, with ohno being the "native" host system.  I'm also running three
> different VMs under Qemu/KVM; two Debian 6 and one FreeBSD, paravirtualized
> (virtio) drivers being used when possible.  It's been "in production" for
> 9-10 months now and works *great*.

I spent last nite and this morning installing Debian squeeze.

I could not try KVM because the machine has no HVM support, so I tested Xen.

The GUI tools for LVM, Xen, and KVM all seem broken, so I gave up playing with
them. I was just curious about them. Using the command line tools was just
faster and easier.

One thing I can't make work is networking for the guest operating systems.
They cannot send or receive packets.

Looking at the logs I see Xen bringing up bridging without errors, but it
still does not work.

The Debian documentation suggested that if Xen cannot bridge on its own,
configure a bridge in Debian and tell it to use that. I got br0 up and running
and restarted the guest, but it still could not talk. Even telling it
specifically to use br0 and bridging didn't work, even though the logs suggest
it was connecting and using it.

I know you used KVM, but if you could tell me how you have bridging setup that
would be helpful. I don't have to use Debian, but it does have more updated
Xen support so I'd like to give it a fair shot.

I am wondering if this is something caused by NetworkManager. Evidently that
is some new (to me) daemon that is supposed to make network configuration
easy. The documentation says that it will ignore any interfaces in
/etc/network/interfaces which I believe is the standard and/or old way to
configure Debian networking.

Doing that yielded the same log messages and results.

I wonder though if NetworkManager might still be interfering somehow, even
though the bridge reports being up and seeing traffic.