[geeks] the virtualization project

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Sep 17 09:09:56 CDT 2011

On Friday, September 16, 2011, Shannon wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2011, at 11:24 , Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:17:01AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
> >
> > ohno.mrbill.net is a Debian 6 quad-core (AMD Athlon II 640) system
> > with 16 of RAM, with ohno being the "native" host system.  I'm
> > also running three different VMs under Qemu/KVM; two Debian 6 and
> > one FreeBSD, paravirtualized (virtio) drivers being used when
> > possible.  It's been "in production" for 9-10 months now and works
> > *great*.
>
> I spent last nite and this morning installing Debian squeeze.
>
> I could not try KVM because the machine has no HVM support, so I
> tested Xen.
>
> The GUI tools for LVM, Xen, and KVM all seem broken, so I gave up
> playing with them. I was just curious about them. Using the command
> line tools was just faster and easier.

I didn't realize there were gui tools. Why put a gui on your Dom0 box?
:)

> One thing I can't make work is networking for the guest operating
> systems. They cannot send or receive packets.

Try this.

apt-get remove network-manager

Set up eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces like normal. It should look sorta
like this:

auto eth0
interface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.0.1

Now, you want something like this in your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp:
(network-script 'network-bridge bridge=br1')
(vif-script vif-bridge)

And your blah.cfg for your domain should have something like this in it:
vif = ['bridge=br1']

See if that helps. I'm betting that if you have NetworkManager
installed, that's your main problem.  It's nice for wireless network
configuration, but annoying for fixed network configuration.
--
Patrick Finnegan