[geeks] [rescue] consciousness immortality [was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Aug 27 23:44:12 CDT 2011

> Here's the worst case scenario that I can think of:  Suppose that
> your consciousness has some ability to live on indefinitely without
> any sensory or communication abilities whatsoever.  [...]
> Personally, my guess is that this would be [] torturous.

Something at least mildly like this has been tried.  Look up "sensory
deprivation".  "blank tank" may also be a useful term, though by itself
it tends to turn up shirt sellers.

Given what's been observed to happen to people in such environments
(which are not total sensory deprivation; for example, subjects can
usually hear their own breathing if they try), I would expect most
people without any sensory input at all to go some flavour of insane
within a week at the most, probably more like a couple of days.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org