[geeks] [rescue] consciousness immortality [was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks]

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Aug 27 15:10:37 CDT 2011

On 8/27/2011 2:29 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 08/27/11 13:56, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> Here's the worst case scenario that I can think of:  Suppose that your
>> consciousness has some ability to live on indefinitely without any
>> sensory or communication abilities whatsoever.  This can be either in
>> your body (but detached from the nervous system, etc.) or as transferred
>> to some other form.  Personally, my guess is that this would be a torturous.
> That probably would not bode well for sanity.  Although, in the absence
> of external stimuli ...   you might just edit/compress it internally
> into an indefinite duration of, well, really nothing much at all.

Which would then cause you to question how long you had really been like
that.  Months? Years?  If somehow you were again attached to external
stimuli and communication, you could find out how long it had been and
be able to comment that it did not seem that long, but as long as you
were disconnected, you would have no way of knowing.  You also have no
means of ending your consciousness.

It's the same concept behind the book and film "Johnny Got His Gun".  My
knowledge of the story is limited to what is sampled in the Metallica
song "One", but I think Johnny retains limited motor control and hearing.

     -Dan Sikorski