[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 7 20:43:45 CST 2010

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:46 PM, "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
>> That is to say, while Ubuntu may be slipping in their testing, in this
>> particular case, I'm not sure what they could do.
>
> Your point about pinetrail availability is taken, but I have a SFF Dell
> Optiplex GX620 with 'mature' Intel graphics that can only do 640x480 or
> 800x600, this system is about 5 yrs old and uses very common graphics
> adapter (specific chipset eludes me at the moment)...
>
> My system shouldn't have had a problem w/9.10, I'll try an earlier
> release (8.04.2 LTS perhaps) and see how that does...

Dell says that you have a GMA950, and there is really no excuse for that
to not function correctly.

Reportedly Intel/Tungstun has been ripping their driver up a lot
recently, but at some point you would think that a distribution like
Ubuntu would have to take a stand and stick with an older Xorg or older
drivers until things get stabilized.

BTW, was that a clean install that didn't work, or was it an upgrade?
Have you tried a Fedora Live CD just to see if it is better supported?
I'm burning Fedora 12 to try at the moment.