[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 09:04:28 CST 2010

On Mar 7, 2010, at 9:43 PM, "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> Dell says that you have a GMA950, and there is really no excuse for
> that to not function correctly.

Agreed.

<snip>

> BTW, was that a clean install that didn't work, or was it an
> upgrade? Have you tried a Fedora Live CD just to see if it is better
> supported? I'm burning Fedora 12 to try at the moment.

Clean install - the machine takes 4 gig of RAM but has a pokey Celeron
CPU. I think I can upgrade the CPU to a more reasonable P4 (maybe a D-
series CPU, like the D805 or D630 for dual core happiness ;^).

I'm not sure if I'll put Linux or Windows on it, depends on if I can
'up' the CPU or not.

I plan on trying a pre-release of Ubuntu 10.4 to see if the graphics
works properly in the new release... If I get a chance, I'll try
Fedora if I get a chance...

Lionel